Skip to main content

Sayonara 2006

        As the year comes to an end, we start to evaluate our performance in the whole year. We try to classify it if it was a good or bad year with different parameters in hand. For me this year was one of the toughest years to start with. I had to make a lot of important decisions, many of them went right and rests were bizarre. In fact, the decisions I made in this year have made it crystal clear that next year will be the toughest year in my life. Why? That is a different story which I will tell you some different day. For now, I would like reassess what I have done in this whole year.

        To begin with I had a real bad end to 2005 as I had given the worst exam of my life. I was sure that I would get less than 70 percent, my new lowest total…. I had to make a come back in the coming semester to gain confidence for the campus interviews in the month of July. I started the year by enrolling for the IMS classes as I decided to prepare for CAT. It was a calculated decision taking into account the amount information I had and other factors. I realized that to compete with the best I must learn more than what is taught in colleges. So I teamed up with Divin, a guy with big heart. We started learning Visual C++. We proposed to have a special registration mechanism for our college’s cultural festival called “Pratibimb”. We were appointed as registration head for the Pratibimb-06. During the same period I got a call from Aditya Raut, Magazine GS asking me whether I would take the post of Publicity Head. I rather open handedly accepted it. I had to work really hard to get the software for Pratibimb working. I also had to be impartial knowing that previously there had been cases of cheating to make a specific department win or lose. I was really lucky that we had a good committee that never forced me to do any bad practice.

        It wasn’t just festivals though; I also had to give vivas and exams. It wasn’t an easy time either and I wasn’t alone. Sidscope and I had to study and study and study to get back into form. The worst period was during the term test, when we had term test after every 2 days with lots of assignment in hand. And if that wasn’t enough then we were going to have vivas within 1 week (in fact 2 on the same day). Everyone went through the difficult period at the end with one month to go for the exams. I gave the exam with a will to make a comeback in the top ten and really paid off. I was again in the top 5 tied with anup at 5th spot.

        Then came the 7th semester. I decided not to concentrate much on academics because as it is we fetch our marks because of last month study. I also had to give CAT. During the sem I realized that I was too late to improve for the personal interview for the IIM. Thus even if had passed the CAT, I would have been humiliated in the PI. Still I wanted to give the exam as I wanted show myself that I can do it. The real test though came in August when Google came for Open house in my college. It was the first dream company to come to my college that year. I never thought that I would ever reach to next stage of interview but I did it. Not only that I cleared all 4 interviews. The decision is still pending, I still have hopes. By the time our vivas were scheduled, I came to know that I had been careless in study and had to work doubly hard for preparing for the vivas. Vivas came and went, Exam came and went, but this time I tried not to feel bad about the mistakes I had made in them. I am still learning how to give my best performance in these exams. Let us hope I achieve it in my last Sem.

        I am sorry because I can’t go into the details of every important event of 2006 now. But assure you that I will. About the coming year (or rather this year) I have great expectations. This is going to be the toughest of them all. Wish me best of luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Shivchhatrapati Lyrics

इंद्र जिमि जंभ पर… बाडव सुअंभ पर… रावण सदंभ पर… रघुकुलराज है ! पौन बारिबाह पर… संभु रतिनाह पर… ज्यों सहसबाह पर… राम द्विजराज है ! उदरात माउली… रयतेस साउली… गडकोट राउळी… शिवशंकर हा मुक्तीची मंत्रणा… युक्तीची यंत्रणा… खल दुष्टदुर्जना… प्रलयंकर हा संतास रक्षितो… शत्रू निखंदतो… भावंडभावना… संस्थापितो ऐसा युगेयुगे… स्मरणीय सर्वदा… माता-पिता-सखा… शिवभूप तो दावा दृमदंड पर… चीता मृगझुंड पर… भूषन वितुंड पर… जैसे मृगराज है ! तेज तम‍ अंस पर… कान्ह जिमि कंस पर… त्यों मलिच्छ बंस पर… सेर सिवराज है ! जय भवानी, जय शिवाजी !   Thanks to Nik for sending this. In case any of you want to read the whole poem you can visit this link .

My Favorite Song

I always loved marathi songs. Be it the usual film songs, or the ever spiritual bhakitgeet. I am great fan of Vasant Bahar (the collection songs by Vasant Desai, Vasnt Prabhu and Vasant Deshpande). But all these songs were recorded in older times, before the 80s. In fact there were not many songs from the 90s which were really great. The emphasis was more on Comedy and the music paid for this. In fact there were songs which were "combo" songs containing the marathi versions of many popular hindi songs. Post Shwas era however has been much more encouraging. There were some amazing numbers like Radha hi Bawari, Man Udhan Varyache, Malhar vari and more. The song which I am going to mention here was an special addition  to the "Aga Bai Arechya.." audio CD. It was got the modern touch which I think is essential for Marathi songs if they really want to compete against the Hindi or Punjabi songs.  Sung by Swapnil Bandodkar, this one is at the top of my favorite songs list

शायरी

कुछ बिखरे सपने और आँखों में नमी है, एक छोटा सा आसमां और उम्मीन्दों की ज़मीं है, यूँ तो बहुत दोस्त है ज़िन्दगी मैं, पर जो खास है वाही पास नहीं है ....................