Skip to main content

Google SMS Channel

Well, well, well what you know? Google India has come up with SMS Channels. The product has great similarities with our own MyToday MOBS and Webaroo’s SMSGupshup. You can create an SMS channel which is a way of sending group SMSs. I guess the specialty of Google has always been the ease and simplicity of user interfaces. The same thing continues here also. You can create your own SMS channel with various options. You can use it to send RSS feeds or send alerts about your blog or alerts about your or send Google news alerts for particular keywords or send alerts about the emails sent on a Google group or the simplest of them all – send a “free” group SMS from the web site.

If I have to compare the 3 services, two of which I have already worked on, there is one big Similarity in all. “DELAYS”!!!! Well, I have sent an SMS on my SMS channel Chikitsak and I still haven't received the SMS on my phone. You could expect it to happen with MyToday or SMSGupshup, given their huge subscriber base. Google has just started, so I expected much less delay than this. But its Google, so its bound to come with some innovative solution to eliminate the latency.

Next thing is the good old search feature which is Google’s trademark :) That's something which I always felt MOBS lacked. It is always good to allow users to search for new groups. I think when some one joins a group SMS site, he wants to know if there are others like him who have started some interesting groups. Gupshup also has this feature of search.

Further comes the SMS policy control. By this, I mean who can join the Channel and who can publish. In this case both Google and MyToday are superior. Both allow the owner to control who can subscribe, i.e whether anyone can join the group or is it invitation. Also the owner has the right to check who can send and cannot send SMS to group. There is small difference here though. Google allows the option that either owner can send or all the users can send. MyToday on the other hand has a flexible approach. Owner can allow all the users to send SMS or only those users he approves. Gupshup being more of Micro Blogging platform allows only the sender to send SMS to all while subscriber can send the SMS to only owner(it was like this when I used to last time, which was 3 months back).

Google allow owners to subscribe to feeds and then receive the feeds as SMS. I am happy to say this feature is already present in MyToday, but I don’t think it is much used. One problem with MyToday Mobs is that since our company is mostly concentrating on the Dailies, the number of Mob messages being dropped in day time is high. So even my own Mobs don’t receive the SMSs when I publish them in the day. Of course, try publishing them in night post 10.30 pm and it will reach the recipients really quickly.  And you need not wait till night to actually publish the message in the night. Use can future publish your message. Just set the time of publishing the SMS to the time when you want the SMS to be sent(preferably post 10.30) .

The biggest advantage Google is going to have over us or Webaroo is their existing Advertiser base. Since the two of us are startups we (or shall I say our bosses?) had to work hard to convince advertisers the importance of Mobile media. Google will have an obvious advantage with the trust they have created with their brand name. We ourselves are using Google’s ad sense for our Ads.

Finally, I looking forward to how development of SMS channels proceeds. I want to know whether Google uses the location based approach for Ads and how they find the location for the user.

P. S.: Still no “Chikitsak” SMS from Google :(

Comments

ketan khope said…
I have one question ...I have my own channel on Google SMS channel ...Its my group from my class .we are 30 users. I have kept settings as only users that i have invited can join the channel & every user can post to the channel..now sometimes what happens is some users send annoying messages anonymously...what i want to ask as i am admin of our channel can i find out that which user has send a specific message....mobile no of that user??? ...please reply ...thanx in advance..
Siddhesh said…
I think it is possible to see the identity of the person who sends message on google sms channel UI.

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Shivchhatrapati Lyrics

इंद्र जिमि जंभ पर… बाडव सुअंभ पर… रावण सदंभ पर… रघुकुलराज है ! पौन बारिबाह पर… संभु रतिनाह पर… ज्यों सहसबाह पर… राम द्विजराज है ! उदरात माउली… रयतेस साउली… गडकोट राउळी… शिवशंकर हा मुक्तीची मंत्रणा… युक्तीची यंत्रणा… खल दुष्टदुर्जना… प्रलयंकर हा संतास रक्षितो… शत्रू निखंदतो… भावंडभावना… संस्थापितो ऐसा युगेयुगे… स्मरणीय सर्वदा… माता-पिता-सखा… शिवभूप तो दावा दृमदंड पर… चीता मृगझुंड पर… भूषन वितुंड पर… जैसे मृगराज है ! तेज तम‍ अंस पर… कान्ह जिमि कंस पर… त्यों मलिच्छ बंस पर… सेर सिवराज है ! जय भवानी, जय शिवाजी !   Thanks to Nik for sending this. In case any of you want to read the whole poem you can visit this link .

My Favorite Song

I always loved marathi songs. Be it the usual film songs, or the ever spiritual bhakitgeet. I am great fan of Vasant Bahar (the collection songs by Vasant Desai, Vasnt Prabhu and Vasant Deshpande). But all these songs were recorded in older times, before the 80s. In fact there were not many songs from the 90s which were really great. The emphasis was more on Comedy and the music paid for this. In fact there were songs which were "combo" songs containing the marathi versions of many popular hindi songs. Post Shwas era however has been much more encouraging. There were some amazing numbers like Radha hi Bawari, Man Udhan Varyache, Malhar vari and more. The song which I am going to mention here was an special addition  to the "Aga Bai Arechya.." audio CD. It was got the modern touch which I think is essential for Marathi songs if they really want to compete against the Hindi or Punjabi songs.  Sung by Swapnil Bandodkar, this one is at the top of my favorite songs list

शायरी

कुछ बिखरे सपने और आँखों में नमी है, एक छोटा सा आसमां और उम्मीन्दों की ज़मीं है, यूँ तो बहुत दोस्त है ज़िन्दगी मैं, पर जो खास है वाही पास नहीं है ....................