Skip to main content

The Murder of Roger Ackroyed

Spoilers Warning: If you are reading or are intending to read above book, please do not proceed unless you want to know murderer.

Till now I have read three of Agatha Christie books. The first was "The Mystery of Blue Train". It was a really great book. I tried my best to guess the Culprit, with no success at all. Then I read "The Mysterious Mister Quin". It was a set of short stories. I was not much impressed by that book. It was more of a supernatural thing than a murder mystery. Last week my brother brought the book "The Murder of Roger Ackroyed"....
Well, I don't know why but I didn't start the book exactly the way I usually do. I went to the last page (rather the back page) of the book which generally contains a short para from the book. I started reading it, but there wasn't any para from the book. There was a mention of how controversial the book was. In fact, it was mentioned that some of the newspapers called Agatha Christie a "Cheater". Now that was strange, given her reputation. And why would any Publication make a bad publicity of the book it wants to sell. At the end it said that book also contains a preface written by the Author. Hmmm... I went to the preface, read it, and found it on the similar lines as the back page. In this kind of perplexed state I started reading the book. The first para was about 4 lines. Then came the key moment! The 2nd para started with "I". A sudden thought process was ignited by that "I". Hey man... I have feeling I know something about this book... At the same time, a small incident which occurred in college appeared in my mind which was insignificant but was still in some corner in my memory... It was Tha n Maddy talking.... Maddy had just written an article for Nirmaan.. on Hecule Poirot... They were discussing his books..especially the one with First person narration... I still remember Tha saying in her patent style "....and flip.... it was the same person.... I couldn't believe it"...
Oh yes.. I know this book... Its the same... He is the killer... the narrator himself....
After that it was as if reading the book for the second time. Agatha Christie has done an unbelievable job in writing this book. Check out the following lines from the book which shows her greatness:

"The letters were brought in at twenty minutes to nine. It was just ten minutes to nine when I left him, the letter still unread. I hesitated with my hand on the door handle, looking back and wondering if there was anything I had left undone."

When the narrator narrates this at the start you simply don't think about what happened between 8.40 and 8.50 pm. Well, the narrator killed the Roger Ackroyed.........

Comments

Meghna Bhujwala said…
wow!! u wrote quite a thriller article urslf man!! I was absorbed! Maybe u shld consider writing sme more thriller articles..giv it a shot u neva knw!!
Siddhesh said…
yep. I can I will.....

Btw abt the line "u neva knw", thats my favorite. It gives me strangest of feelings these days.... why? i will tell u , just wait for few more days.
Nikhil said…
It's a good book. I had doubt on the narrator, but I wasn't sure.

The reason that I read one italicized I in the book. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Shivchhatrapati Lyrics

इंद्र जिमि जंभ पर… बाडव सुअंभ पर… रावण सदंभ पर… रघुकुलराज है ! पौन बारिबाह पर… संभु रतिनाह पर… ज्यों सहसबाह पर… राम द्विजराज है ! उदरात माउली… रयतेस साउली… गडकोट राउळी… शिवशंकर हा मुक्तीची मंत्रणा… युक्तीची यंत्रणा… खल दुष्टदुर्जना… प्रलयंकर हा संतास रक्षितो… शत्रू निखंदतो… भावंडभावना… संस्थापितो ऐसा युगेयुगे… स्मरणीय सर्वदा… माता-पिता-सखा… शिवभूप तो दावा दृमदंड पर… चीता मृगझुंड पर… भूषन वितुंड पर… जैसे मृगराज है ! तेज तम‍ अंस पर… कान्ह जिमि कंस पर… त्यों मलिच्छ बंस पर… सेर सिवराज है ! जय भवानी, जय शिवाजी !   Thanks to Nik for sending this. In case any of you want to read the whole poem you can visit this link .

My Favorite Song

I always loved marathi songs. Be it the usual film songs, or the ever spiritual bhakitgeet. I am great fan of Vasant Bahar (the collection songs by Vasant Desai, Vasnt Prabhu and Vasant Deshpande). But all these songs were recorded in older times, before the 80s. In fact there were not many songs from the 90s which were really great. The emphasis was more on Comedy and the music paid for this. In fact there were songs which were "combo" songs containing the marathi versions of many popular hindi songs. Post Shwas era however has been much more encouraging. There were some amazing numbers like Radha hi Bawari, Man Udhan Varyache, Malhar vari and more. The song which I am going to mention here was an special addition  to the "Aga Bai Arechya.." audio CD. It was got the modern touch which I think is essential for Marathi songs if they really want to compete against the Hindi or Punjabi songs.  Sung by Swapnil Bandodkar, this one is at the top of my favorite songs list

शायरी

कुछ बिखरे सपने और आँखों में नमी है, एक छोटा सा आसमां और उम्मीन्दों की ज़मीं है, यूँ तो बहुत दोस्त है ज़िन्दगी मैं, पर जो खास है वाही पास नहीं है ....................