Skip to main content

Resolutions 2012

Actually these weren't actual resolutions for the year, these were my "personal KRAs". Usually, I don't make any resolutions at the start of the year, however my boss had asked me and Pradumn to prepare KRAs at personal as well as professional level. I think I was able to fulfill all of the KRAs at work. Even at personal level, I was able to achieve most of the goals I had set for 2012. 

One of them was visiting more places during the year. Of course, I wasn't able to go anywhere outside Maharashtra for a trip, but I did manage few official tours to Bangalore, Delhi and Chennai. There were lot of opportunities though, with many of classmates from NITIE getting married. There were many trips in Maharashtra, even though I missed the big Konkan Picnic initially in January (I was in Bangalore). Still we covered all three famous hill stations - Lonavala, Matheran, Mahabaleshwar. In between. there was a visit to Pune as well. Towards the end of the year, we managed one last picnic to Karde-Dapoli area with just 4 people. Unfortunately, during almost every trip I had some work to be done on the next day after the trip.

Next one was to read more books, so let me list the books I read -
  • Malgudi Days
  • Love Story
  • Catch-22
  • Vyakti ani Valli
  • Thinking Fast and Slow
  • God Save Dork
  • Chanakya's Chants
  • Ascent of Money (did not complete)
With the amount of free time I had, this was a below par effort :( My favorite among them is the master piece by Daniel Kahneman - "Thinking Fast and Slow".

Finally, the biggest disappointment was the third resolution. I had told myself that I should try to target, applying for Phd in next 2-3 years, so in that case I was supposed to start reading research articles or at least decide on the field where I would like to do research. But nothing happened. There is absolutely zero change in my knowledge base from 2011 with respect to the research perspective. I must target at least one research paper for 2013, otherwise my dream becoming a "Doctor" is in shambles!!

Next post will be year 2012 in review :)

Comments

Nikhil said…
Y U NO TRY FOR CFA OR FRM? ;)
Siddhesh said…
Yes, I did question myself, after we met the other day. Reason is that whether it will really help me with the career I am looking for.
It really depends on how desperately I want to be or not to be a Phd...
Siddhesh said…
@Nikhil Did you see the new Blogger feature of tagging Google+ friends in the post?
Unknown said…
Oh the legendary KRAs, I also wrote so many things...don't even remember ;)
Sankalp Shere said…
I thought 'getting hitched' on the list as well. ;)
Siddhesh said…
@Sankalp: It is there on the 2013 list.
Nikhil said…
@Siddhesh, No, I didn't.

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Shivchhatrapati Lyrics

इंद्र जिमि जंभ पर… बाडव सुअंभ पर… रावण सदंभ पर… रघुकुलराज है ! पौन बारिबाह पर… संभु रतिनाह पर… ज्यों सहसबाह पर… राम द्विजराज है ! उदरात माउली… रयतेस साउली… गडकोट राउळी… शिवशंकर हा मुक्तीची मंत्रणा… युक्तीची यंत्रणा… खल दुष्टदुर्जना… प्रलयंकर हा संतास रक्षितो… शत्रू निखंदतो… भावंडभावना… संस्थापितो ऐसा युगेयुगे… स्मरणीय सर्वदा… माता-पिता-सखा… शिवभूप तो दावा दृमदंड पर… चीता मृगझुंड पर… भूषन वितुंड पर… जैसे मृगराज है ! तेज तम‍ अंस पर… कान्ह जिमि कंस पर… त्यों मलिच्छ बंस पर… सेर सिवराज है ! जय भवानी, जय शिवाजी !   Thanks to Nik for sending this. In case any of you want to read the whole poem you can visit this link .

My Favorite Song

I always loved marathi songs. Be it the usual film songs, or the ever spiritual bhakitgeet. I am great fan of Vasant Bahar (the collection songs by Vasant Desai, Vasnt Prabhu and Vasant Deshpande). But all these songs were recorded in older times, before the 80s. In fact there were not many songs from the 90s which were really great. The emphasis was more on Comedy and the music paid for this. In fact there were songs which were "combo" songs containing the marathi versions of many popular hindi songs. Post Shwas era however has been much more encouraging. There were some amazing numbers like Radha hi Bawari, Man Udhan Varyache, Malhar vari and more. The song which I am going to mention here was an special addition  to the "Aga Bai Arechya.." audio CD. It was got the modern touch which I think is essential for Marathi songs if they really want to compete against the Hindi or Punjabi songs.  Sung by Swapnil Bandodkar, this one is at the top of my favorite songs list

शायरी

कुछ बिखरे सपने और आँखों में नमी है, एक छोटा सा आसमां और उम्मीन्दों की ज़मीं है, यूँ तो बहुत दोस्त है ज़िन्दगी मैं, पर जो खास है वाही पास नहीं है ....................