Skip to main content

Mumbai Marathon’ 13

I still don’t remember why I decided to participate in the race. I had completed the Half Marathon in 2009, but that was pretty slow with more than 4 hours taken. This time I was running with the intent of completing the race within 3 hours. I had even contacted my friend, Sankalp, who had participated in various Marathon competitions in US. I asked him for a plan to prepare for the race. However, like many things in my life, I never prepared for the ultimate race because of my usual laziness (Big Mistake!!!). 

On the race day, I arrived at the venue with my friend, Nikhil S. I started the race at 5:51AM, around 10 min after the gun time. During the initial few kilometers, I had some trouble with breathing, so I started having doubts whether I would be able to complete the race. But, then after I got used to the walking/running, I did not have any trouble with it. Main issue then was that of legs. By the time I reached Pedder Road, I was not able to run for more than 6-7 seconds, it was basically brisk walking now. Some serious pain had developed on the side of my right calf. Meanwhile, I saw many of SEBIites (with the fluorescent colored jersey, it wasn’t hard spot them), most of whom were way ahead of me. I somehow managed to pass the Marine Drive road and entered the final 2 Kms. Slowly once I reached within 100 m distance, I told myself, lets finish this off in style. I sprinted to the finish at my top speed in the whole race. But how idiotic was that decision!! Sankalp had specifically told me, it’s a Marathon and not a sprint. But no!! I wanted to show off na! Once I crossed the finish line, I was barely able to walk, with excruciating pain in the right calf area. I somehow managed to make it to the medical camp first, where I got some ice to apply to my right leg. After a few minutes, I met Sankalp and Siddhesh in the Azad Maidan. I can’t forget the way I walked up and down the stairs at Dadar station, it took like an eternity!
Of course despite all this cribbing, I must confess, I liked the whole experience of the Marathon. May be, had I prepared my body well before the competition, it could have been much better. As the pain recedes with time, I might think of Sankalp suggestion of taking part Full Marathon next year along with him and Siddhesh. Well, still long time to go for that decision!

774838_4750129465461_1407074385_o
With Sankalp and Siddhesh

Gun Time
05:40:04
Start Time 05:51:13
Split@9Km 01:11:02
Split@10Km 01:21:12
Finish@21.097Km 03:11:49
Gross Time 03:22:58

Comments