Skip to main content

Mumbai Marathon’ 13

I still don’t remember why I decided to participate in the race. I had completed the Half Marathon in 2009, but that was pretty slow with more than 4 hours taken. This time I was running with the intent of completing the race within 3 hours. I had even contacted my friend, Sankalp, who had participated in various Marathon competitions in US. I asked him for a plan to prepare for the race. However, like many things in my life, I never prepared for the ultimate race because of my usual laziness (Big Mistake!!!). 

On the race day, I arrived at the venue with my friend, Nikhil S. I started the race at 5:51AM, around 10 min after the gun time. During the initial few kilometers, I had some trouble with breathing, so I started having doubts whether I would be able to complete the race. But, then after I got used to the walking/running, I did not have any trouble with it. Main issue then was that of legs. By the time I reached Pedder Road, I was not able to run for more than 6-7 seconds, it was basically brisk walking now. Some serious pain had developed on the side of my right calf. Meanwhile, I saw many of SEBIites (with the fluorescent colored jersey, it wasn’t hard spot them), most of whom were way ahead of me. I somehow managed to pass the Marine Drive road and entered the final 2 Kms. Slowly once I reached within 100 m distance, I told myself, lets finish this off in style. I sprinted to the finish at my top speed in the whole race. But how idiotic was that decision!! Sankalp had specifically told me, it’s a Marathon and not a sprint. But no!! I wanted to show off na! Once I crossed the finish line, I was barely able to walk, with excruciating pain in the right calf area. I somehow managed to make it to the medical camp first, where I got some ice to apply to my right leg. After a few minutes, I met Sankalp and Siddhesh in the Azad Maidan. I can’t forget the way I walked up and down the stairs at Dadar station, it took like an eternity!
Of course despite all this cribbing, I must confess, I liked the whole experience of the Marathon. May be, had I prepared my body well before the competition, it could have been much better. As the pain recedes with time, I might think of Sankalp suggestion of taking part Full Marathon next year along with him and Siddhesh. Well, still long time to go for that decision!

774838_4750129465461_1407074385_o
With Sankalp and Siddhesh

Gun Time
05:40:04
Start Time 05:51:13
Split@9Km 01:11:02
Split@10Km 01:21:12
Finish@21.097Km 03:11:49
Gross Time 03:22:58

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Shivchhatrapati Lyrics

इंद्र जिमि जंभ पर… बाडव सुअंभ पर… रावण सदंभ पर… रघुकुलराज है ! पौन बारिबाह पर… संभु रतिनाह पर… ज्यों सहसबाह पर… राम द्विजराज है ! उदरात माउली… रयतेस साउली… गडकोट राउळी… शिवशंकर हा मुक्तीची मंत्रणा… युक्तीची यंत्रणा… खल दुष्टदुर्जना… प्रलयंकर हा संतास रक्षितो… शत्रू निखंदतो… भावंडभावना… संस्थापितो ऐसा युगेयुगे… स्मरणीय सर्वदा… माता-पिता-सखा… शिवभूप तो दावा दृमदंड पर… चीता मृगझुंड पर… भूषन वितुंड पर… जैसे मृगराज है ! तेज तम‍ अंस पर… कान्ह जिमि कंस पर… त्यों मलिच्छ बंस पर… सेर सिवराज है ! जय भवानी, जय शिवाजी !   Thanks to Nik for sending this. In case any of you want to read the whole poem you can visit this link .

My Favorite Song

I always loved marathi songs. Be it the usual film songs, or the ever spiritual bhakitgeet. I am great fan of Vasant Bahar (the collection songs by Vasant Desai, Vasnt Prabhu and Vasant Deshpande). But all these songs were recorded in older times, before the 80s. In fact there were not many songs from the 90s which were really great. The emphasis was more on Comedy and the music paid for this. In fact there were songs which were "combo" songs containing the marathi versions of many popular hindi songs. Post Shwas era however has been much more encouraging. There were some amazing numbers like Radha hi Bawari, Man Udhan Varyache, Malhar vari and more. The song which I am going to mention here was an special addition  to the "Aga Bai Arechya.." audio CD. It was got the modern touch which I think is essential for Marathi songs if they really want to compete against the Hindi or Punjabi songs.  Sung by Swapnil Bandodkar, this one is at the top of my favorite songs list

शायरी

कुछ बिखरे सपने और आँखों में नमी है, एक छोटा सा आसमां और उम्मीन्दों की ज़मीं है, यूँ तो बहुत दोस्त है ज़िन्दगी मैं, पर जो खास है वाही पास नहीं है ....................