Skip to main content

Paper Checking

Recently an interesting incident occurred related to my school. One of my neighbors studies in 6th standard at my former school. I got the news from one of our common acquaintance that he fared poorly in science paper. Few days after I got the news, the boy himself started telling me about his marks. He had got decent marks in rest of subjects. He initially did not talk about science paper, but after a while he started the topic by informing me that all the students got the beating in Science paper. He stressed on the fact that even the topper had 30 marks out of 40. Since, I had seen his casual approach during exams; I thought he himself was responsible for his dismal performance. However, when he told about the way his teacher responded to the students’ queries about the paper, it frustrated me a lot.

The teacher had told all the students that if anyone comes to her for changing the marks, she would cut that student’s marks. This according to me is ridiculous. As I had seen these things happening while I was studying, this did not surprise me much. We were pretty much helpless at that time (and even now). Now, let me be clear, I am not saying all the students should get high marks or all student queries are valid and mandate more marks. I just want teachers to give the students understanding about why they lost marks. I know marks are not important in long term, but they do matter on short term basis when it comes to maintain your competitiveness. If you don’t get the marks or as I would call it – “results” – for your efforts, next time you may not put the same level of efforts. Again, how do you expect students to write the answers in the way it is expected, if you never tell them what is expected from them?

I discussed this issue with my friends, and they also had similar opinion. As I said earlier, scoring high marks is not a priority, but you should at least get what you deserve or at least a way to understand how to get better. I really hope situation improves when my kids go to school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Shivchhatrapati Lyrics

इंद्र जिमि जंभ पर… बाडव सुअंभ पर… रावण सदंभ पर… रघुकुलराज है ! पौन बारिबाह पर… संभु रतिनाह पर… ज्यों सहसबाह पर… राम द्विजराज है ! उदरात माउली… रयतेस साउली… गडकोट राउळी… शिवशंकर हा मुक्तीची मंत्रणा… युक्तीची यंत्रणा… खल दुष्टदुर्जना… प्रलयंकर हा संतास रक्षितो… शत्रू निखंदतो… भावंडभावना… संस्थापितो ऐसा युगेयुगे… स्मरणीय सर्वदा… माता-पिता-सखा… शिवभूप तो दावा दृमदंड पर… चीता मृगझुंड पर… भूषन वितुंड पर… जैसे मृगराज है ! तेज तम‍ अंस पर… कान्ह जिमि कंस पर… त्यों मलिच्छ बंस पर… सेर सिवराज है ! जय भवानी, जय शिवाजी !   Thanks to Nik for sending this. In case any of you want to read the whole poem you can visit this link .

My Favorite Song

I always loved marathi songs. Be it the usual film songs, or the ever spiritual bhakitgeet. I am great fan of Vasant Bahar (the collection songs by Vasant Desai, Vasnt Prabhu and Vasant Deshpande). But all these songs were recorded in older times, before the 80s. In fact there were not many songs from the 90s which were really great. The emphasis was more on Comedy and the music paid for this. In fact there were songs which were "combo" songs containing the marathi versions of many popular hindi songs. Post Shwas era however has been much more encouraging. There were some amazing numbers like Radha hi Bawari, Man Udhan Varyache, Malhar vari and more. The song which I am going to mention here was an special addition  to the "Aga Bai Arechya.." audio CD. It was got the modern touch which I think is essential for Marathi songs if they really want to compete against the Hindi or Punjabi songs.  Sung by Swapnil Bandodkar, this one is at the top of my favorite songs list

शायरी

कुछ बिखरे सपने और आँखों में नमी है, एक छोटा सा आसमां और उम्मीन्दों की ज़मीं है, यूँ तो बहुत दोस्त है ज़िन्दगी मैं, पर जो खास है वाही पास नहीं है ....................