Skip to main content

My favorite Dialogue : Vegeta's Respect

I wanted to publish this since long time, but always postponed it, waiting for the right time. Well actually it is not a dialogue, since only one person is speaking.  This dialogue is from my favorite Cartoon serial DragonballZ and is spoken by my favorite character Vegeta. The scene is in the climax of the serial, in one of the final episodes.

To give you an idea why I like it, let me give you some idea about DragonballZ. The characters Goku and Vegeta are one of the most important characters in the series. Goku, the protagonist, who is actually an alien from a planet called Vegeta and is one of the last of his race Saiyan. But unlike the Saiyans who are naturally aggressive, fight-loving, brutal, strongest warriors in the world, he is very calm, naive. He hates to be a Saiyan, when he realizes that he belongs to such a killing race. According to his blood line and roots on planet Vegeta, he is a third grade soldier in the Saiyan Army. On the contrary, Vegeta is the Prince of all Saiyans. He is proud of his heritage and makes a point to boast about his royal blood. Being the prince, he thinks that he can become the strongest warrior in the world, and a third grade Saiyan like Goku (or Kakarot as his original Saiyan name) can not stop him. But that doesn't happen. Goku not only beats him on more than one occasions, but also saves his life. Vegeta keeps feeling the pain, that some one like Goku has become stronger than him. Initially shown as the villain, Vegeta's character is given a gray shade as he joins hands with Goku though only because of his desire to surpass him. They fight many fights together, and finally on the biggest fight on Goku's life, he says the following. The importance of this Para is that its from Vegeta. He hates Goku, doesn't he? He finally finds out why Goku is better himself!!! If you are a DragonballZ fan then you must have a look at this episode......

Vegeta: "[when Goku was fighting 1-on-1 with Buu, to himself]" Amazing, how do you do it Kakarot? You've always been like this, ever since the day I first met you, always ready to meet the next challenge, even if it's bigger than you are! It was the same on Namek, you had improved so much that it made Recoome look like he was standing still! Your power had increased so dramatically since our battle on earth that I thought you had done it. I thought - that you had become... a super Saiyan! It tore me apart! How could a low class soldier accomplish so easily what I, I had struggled my whole life to achieve! After 3 millennia it has finally happened! A new super Saiyan has emerged! And somehow, I have become this pompous witness! Then at last it happened, I too transformed. After living every moment of every day for the singular purpose of surpassing you - I finally became a super Saiyan myself. The prince had reclaimed his throne and fulfilled his destiny! But no matter how strong I became, your power still exceeded mine! At first I thought it was your loved ones, that it was your instinct to protect them that spurred you on, and pushed you beyond your limits! But then I found myself with a family of my own. And my power didn't increase at all... I used to fight for the sheer pleasure of it, for the thrill of the hunt! Oh I had the strength unnestled. I spared no one. And yet, you showed mercy to everyone, even your fiercest enemies... even me! Yet you never fought to kill, or for revenge, only to test your limits, and to push yourself beyond them, to become the strongest you could possibly be! How could a Saiyan fight like that and at the same time be so gentle that he wouldn't hurt a fly. It makes me angry just thinking about it! But, perhaps it is my anger that has made me blind to the truth for so long, I see it now, this day has made it all too clear. You're better than me Kakarot, you're the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Shivchhatrapati Lyrics

इंद्र जिमि जंभ पर… बाडव सुअंभ पर… रावण सदंभ पर… रघुकुलराज है ! पौन बारिबाह पर… संभु रतिनाह पर… ज्यों सहसबाह पर… राम द्विजराज है ! उदरात माउली… रयतेस साउली… गडकोट राउळी… शिवशंकर हा मुक्तीची मंत्रणा… युक्तीची यंत्रणा… खल दुष्टदुर्जना… प्रलयंकर हा संतास रक्षितो… शत्रू निखंदतो… भावंडभावना… संस्थापितो ऐसा युगेयुगे… स्मरणीय सर्वदा… माता-पिता-सखा… शिवभूप तो दावा दृमदंड पर… चीता मृगझुंड पर… भूषन वितुंड पर… जैसे मृगराज है ! तेज तम‍ अंस पर… कान्ह जिमि कंस पर… त्यों मलिच्छ बंस पर… सेर सिवराज है ! जय भवानी, जय शिवाजी !   Thanks to Nik for sending this. In case any of you want to read the whole poem you can visit this link .

My Favorite Song

I always loved marathi songs. Be it the usual film songs, or the ever spiritual bhakitgeet. I am great fan of Vasant Bahar (the collection songs by Vasant Desai, Vasnt Prabhu and Vasant Deshpande). But all these songs were recorded in older times, before the 80s. In fact there were not many songs from the 90s which were really great. The emphasis was more on Comedy and the music paid for this. In fact there were songs which were "combo" songs containing the marathi versions of many popular hindi songs. Post Shwas era however has been much more encouraging. There were some amazing numbers like Radha hi Bawari, Man Udhan Varyache, Malhar vari and more. The song which I am going to mention here was an special addition  to the "Aga Bai Arechya.." audio CD. It was got the modern touch which I think is essential for Marathi songs if they really want to compete against the Hindi or Punjabi songs.  Sung by Swapnil Bandodkar, this one is at the top of my favorite songs list

शायरी

कुछ बिखरे सपने और आँखों में नमी है, एक छोटा सा आसमां और उम्मीन्दों की ज़मीं है, यूँ तो बहुत दोस्त है ज़िन्दगी मैं, पर जो खास है वाही पास नहीं है ....................