Skip to main content

Inflation in Marks

Today morning I read about the SSC results in the newspaper. I was really surprised to see such a rise in the number of people getting over 90%. I remember, when results used to be declared in my school days, they used to write the number of people getting 80+ percentage, on the blackboard at the school gate. In fact, if I am not wrong, in 2001, when I passed SSC exam, we had 23 people crossing the 80% barrier. I don't know how many scored 80+% this time at my school, but newspapers say that Bal Mohan Vidyamandir had 48 students scoring more than 90%. What was more surprising is the fact that the topper in Maharashtra scored 99.09%. 99.09%? This is insane! I am not sure but am I missing any link here? I thought with 3 languages and subjects like history, it was impossible to get so many marks. I guess inflation has caught with SSC marks as well ;) 

To be honest, same would be applicable to my batch as well. Probably in 1991, the fraction of people getting 80% might have been much less than what we had. I wonder what is going to be the situation in 2021!

Comments

Unknown said…
Best of 5 rule, no comments!!! :-) :-p

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Shivchhatrapati Lyrics

इंद्र जिमि जंभ पर… बाडव सुअंभ पर… रावण सदंभ पर… रघुकुलराज है ! पौन बारिबाह पर… संभु रतिनाह पर… ज्यों सहसबाह पर… राम द्विजराज है ! उदरात माउली… रयतेस साउली… गडकोट राउळी… शिवशंकर हा मुक्तीची मंत्रणा… युक्तीची यंत्रणा… खल दुष्टदुर्जना… प्रलयंकर हा संतास रक्षितो… शत्रू निखंदतो… भावंडभावना… संस्थापितो ऐसा युगेयुगे… स्मरणीय सर्वदा… माता-पिता-सखा… शिवभूप तो दावा दृमदंड पर… चीता मृगझुंड पर… भूषन वितुंड पर… जैसे मृगराज है ! तेज तम‍ अंस पर… कान्ह जिमि कंस पर… त्यों मलिच्छ बंस पर… सेर सिवराज है ! जय भवानी, जय शिवाजी !   Thanks to Nik for sending this. In case any of you want to read the whole poem you can visit this link .

My Favorite Song

I always loved marathi songs. Be it the usual film songs, or the ever spiritual bhakitgeet. I am great fan of Vasant Bahar (the collection songs by Vasant Desai, Vasnt Prabhu and Vasant Deshpande). But all these songs were recorded in older times, before the 80s. In fact there were not many songs from the 90s which were really great. The emphasis was more on Comedy and the music paid for this. In fact there were songs which were "combo" songs containing the marathi versions of many popular hindi songs. Post Shwas era however has been much more encouraging. There were some amazing numbers like Radha hi Bawari, Man Udhan Varyache, Malhar vari and more. The song which I am going to mention here was an special addition  to the "Aga Bai Arechya.." audio CD. It was got the modern touch which I think is essential for Marathi songs if they really want to compete against the Hindi or Punjabi songs.  Sung by Swapnil Bandodkar, this one is at the top of my favorite songs list

शायरी

कुछ बिखरे सपने और आँखों में नमी है, एक छोटा सा आसमां और उम्मीन्दों की ज़मीं है, यूँ तो बहुत दोस्त है ज़िन्दगी मैं, पर जो खास है वाही पास नहीं है ....................