Skip to main content

School – 2

So as I said earlier Chikitsak High School is really close to my heart. My earlier school was not too far to my home, just 15 min walking. To go to my new school, I had to go by a private school bus. From 5th till 7th, we were in morning session. Morning 7 o’clock!!! Well, it wasn’t too hard for me actually, since I never really slept for too much time. In fact, my parents used to scold me at nights since I used to keep my eyes open and keep thinking, because I couldn’t sleep. They used to tell me that if I don’t sleep they would put ‘masala’ in my eyes. lol…

I spent 6 years in Chikitsak from 5th standard till my SSC. Each year was special in some way, shaping my personality, in a certain way. 5th standard was my entry point in Chikitsak. It was a good year both academically and socially. I was scared about how I will make new friends in the new school. But all my fears were broken as I settled down in the school. First half of the year I was in the “D” division which was meant for the new students. After I got the scholarship, I was placed in the “C” division, meant for clever students. The first exam I gave, I was the first in the class (in ‘D’ division). Later on my rank kept going down, and at the end of the year I had to settle for 11th rank in ‘C’ division. My first friends in the school were, Kalpesh, Sunil from class ‘D’ and Sawant, Amruta and Parag from ‘C’ division.

6th was really bad in terms of academics, the worst ever in school. The first exam of the year and I got 39th rank. In the same month, I had Jaundice. It seemed that I was going to go down in the ranks, but thanks to the support of my family, teachers and new friends, Kiran, Rishi, Kalpesh. I was back to top 15.

7th standard was the best from morning session. Rishi, Kiran, Anagha, Neha, Swati and myself, we all used to play “Prashna Manjusha” during the “off periods”. When I look back, it seems we had too many off lectures that year. Rishi had brought a GK book. We would have a game master and 2 teams. And then the endless question-answer rounds. We also had really tough Antakshari which would continue from one lecture to the other. It was the best end to my morning part of school.

8th like 7th was average in terms of academics. I was always in 10-15 range in the ranks. What changed was the rift between boys and gals in my class. Also, I enrolled myself for NCC. That was one of my decisions I really hate I made them. NCC was really horrible. It was an open ragging, honestly. And I was too scared, too naive to ever oppose their punishments. I never felt as much pressured in my life except during July last year as I was during those NCC days.

One thing I would like to mention here is the fact that till 8th, as far as I remember, we never had a boy who made it to top 10 in the final exams. Top 10 in ‘C’ division(which later became ‘A’ division), was girl bastion. And honestly we had no clue how the girls used to get marks. I had to wait till 9th to reach the ever elusive 80 per cent mark. What is more interesting is the fact that the first place always belonged to Deepashri. And she used to be way ahead of the rest (a la Maddy from VJComps).

From 9th though, it changed. As they say, Change is GOOD…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raja Shivchhatrapati Lyrics

इंद्र जिमि जंभ पर… बाडव सुअंभ पर… रावण सदंभ पर… रघुकुलराज है ! पौन बारिबाह पर… संभु रतिनाह पर… ज्यों सहसबाह पर… राम द्विजराज है ! उदरात माउली… रयतेस साउली… गडकोट राउळी… शिवशंकर हा मुक्तीची मंत्रणा… युक्तीची यंत्रणा… खल दुष्टदुर्जना… प्रलयंकर हा संतास रक्षितो… शत्रू निखंदतो… भावंडभावना… संस्थापितो ऐसा युगेयुगे… स्मरणीय सर्वदा… माता-पिता-सखा… शिवभूप तो दावा दृमदंड पर… चीता मृगझुंड पर… भूषन वितुंड पर… जैसे मृगराज है ! तेज तम‍ अंस पर… कान्ह जिमि कंस पर… त्यों मलिच्छ बंस पर… सेर सिवराज है ! जय भवानी, जय शिवाजी !   Thanks to Nik for sending this. In case any of you want to read the whole poem you can visit this link .

My Favorite Song

I always loved marathi songs. Be it the usual film songs, or the ever spiritual bhakitgeet. I am great fan of Vasant Bahar (the collection songs by Vasant Desai, Vasnt Prabhu and Vasant Deshpande). But all these songs were recorded in older times, before the 80s. In fact there were not many songs from the 90s which were really great. The emphasis was more on Comedy and the music paid for this. In fact there were songs which were "combo" songs containing the marathi versions of many popular hindi songs. Post Shwas era however has been much more encouraging. There were some amazing numbers like Radha hi Bawari, Man Udhan Varyache, Malhar vari and more. The song which I am going to mention here was an special addition  to the "Aga Bai Arechya.." audio CD. It was got the modern touch which I think is essential for Marathi songs if they really want to compete against the Hindi or Punjabi songs.  Sung by Swapnil Bandodkar, this one is at the top of my favorite songs list

शायरी

कुछ बिखरे सपने और आँखों में नमी है, एक छोटा सा आसमां और उम्मीन्दों की ज़मीं है, यूँ तो बहुत दोस्त है ज़िन्दगी मैं, पर जो खास है वाही पास नहीं है ....................